Popping this old recipe here so it doesn’t get lost again. No photo since it’s years since I made one!
Chocolate and Almond Cake
This wheat-free chocolate cake is an old family favourite and it is quite a grown-up take on chocolate cake. Having said that my daughter loved it from an early age! It’s ideal for a dessert or with coffee. It should be quite moist in the middle with a dense, texture and a deep chocolate flavour.
- 1/4 lb of chocolate (Green and Blacks Organic Dark or similar)
- 3 onz organic butter
- 3 onz organic castor sugar
- 3 onz organic ground almonds
- 3 free range organic eggs
- 1 table sp rum or brandy
- 1 table sp black coffee (fair trade organic of course!)
Oven: very low: Gas mark 1 – 290 F
Grease one 7 inch shallow sponge tin
- Break the chocolate into small pieces put them into a bowl in the oven to melt with the rum and coffee.
- Add the mixture, ground almonds, butter and sugar to a saucepan
- Stir over a very low heat until melted.
- Leave to cool for at least 20 minutes
- Meanwhile separate the eggs
- Beat the whites until very stiff and put on one side
- Stir the beaten yolks into the chocolate mixture
- Fold in the egg whites
- Pour gently into the tin
- Place the tin on a metal baking sheet and put into the oven
- Cook for 45 mins.
- Leave in tin until cool
- Turn cake out very carefully!!!! It is very fragile because of the lack of flour
So there it is, totally wheat free chocolate cake. Add a nice sophisticated topping like single cream and enjoy!